Re: [Healeys] overheating

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] overheating
From: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 01:32:20 +1000
Oudesluys wrote:

>What is disregarded completely in this discussion that a lot of people
>run modified (much) more powerful than standard engines and have the
>standard radiator without extra cooling ca[pacity and/or a proper
>electric fan. Of course you would create overheating that way.
>Kees Oudesluijs
>NL

FWIW,   I have a 197BHP at the back of the gearboxof my  Healey 3000
with a standard radiator with sealing plates across the top and bottom
of the core and side vertical panels with ONLY one half of the the
standard fan ( one blade of the two) and no electric fan. During summer
in Australia it has never boiled. Also has Webers and a tubular exhaust
manifold.  The only difference to most of the listed discussion todate
is I have an alloy head.

Some of the experts out there will no doubt be able to explain that the
rate of heat transfer is most important in any heat exchange system and
this happens between combustion chamber : head material : water  to
remove the heat and then again in reverse in  the radiator matrix,
water : copper : air.  All of these items/materials affect the cooling
system.

Surface condition of cast iron has a BIG affect on the rate of transfer
of heat from the combustion chamber. Iron oxide ( rust,scale) limits the
transfer of heat into the water significantly.

Also have a close look at exactly how far down the height of the block
the actual water jacket around the bores does go.  This area within the
block/bores is notorious for becoming jam packed with crud ( technical
term to describe all sorts of foreign matter) and this decreases the
surface area of the hot bits from being exposed to a good water flow and
therefore heat removal..  Same principal with a dirty radiator.

Forgot, I also have triangular vents in the guards.
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html