Re: [Healeys] Concours judging

To: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Concours judging
From: Ron Mitchell <healeyron@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 14:15:17 -0700 (PDT)
Chris

Thanks for asking.  I will know next week if I have the overheating
problem
sorted out.  I bought one of those adjustable Strobe Light to time
the engine.

With the help of a knowledgeable friend we tore down the
distributor and
confirmed that all the components were in good working
condition.  Without the
aid of a Sun Machine we could only inspect the parts
for wear.

I had the Water Pump rebuilt.

Had a radiator shop inspect and
flush the recently recored radiator.

Reverse flushed the engine while the
radiator and water pump were out of the car
and the petcock on the side of
the block below the carburetors open.

Replaced all components then added 2
1/2 gallons of  50/50 mix Antifreeze.
Timed to car to 6 degrees before TDC.
Adjusted the air fuel mixture of the three carbs with a Unisyn.

Retimed the
engine once more.

Drove at 3000 RPMs on the freeway for approximately 30
miles round trip.

Ambient Temperature yesterday was 91 degree F.

Engine
temperature was a steady 188 to 190 for the entire time.  185 degree
Thermostat.

So far so good.  I'll know more after I travel up and down the
mountains in PA
on way to Encounter next week.

I will check the Head Casting
Number and get back to you.