[Healeys] Intermittent OD failiure

To: Healey Forum <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Intermittent OD failiure
From: Patrick Yoas <pyoas@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:31:46 -0700 (PDT)
Rick & Peter,
I had a very similar problem with my overdrive. The Solenoid checked good
without the car moving however, the pull down winding was weak and would not
do its job when the car was moving. I changed the solenoid and it took care of
the problem.
Patrick
67BJ8

Rich,

I would start by adjusting the solenoid paying particular attention to
the end float on the
actuating shaft.  (The spec for that is in the manual.)  While you are
doing that, check that the
rubber pad that the plunger rests on is in place.  If the plunger goes
too far down in the
off position, the solenoid is not strong enough to pull it up.

Also, check that the pull-in winding is working properly by checking
that the resistance changes
when the plunger is in the fully up position and the pull-in winding is cut
out.

I had a somewhat similar problem several years ago where the pull-in
winding was partially shorted out.
Evenutally the solenoid got too weak to operate the actuating valve.
In my case the current draw from the pull-in
winding was so great that the needle on the gas guage would actually deflect
when I engaged the overdrive.  I bought a new solenoid.

HTH,
Peter Schauss
1963 BJ7
1980 MGB

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Richard Antal <rantal243@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings Healeyphiles,
>     I drive a '65 BJ8 with an OD rebuilt ten years ago. At that time, the
> solenoid was replaced. Over the past ten years, the OD would occasionally
fail
> to engage when the dash switch was activated. Usually flicking the switch
> several times would eventually result in the OD engaging. I thought the
problem
> must be in the electric circuitry so over the years, I have replaced all
the
> components except the solenoid. The OD functioned perfectly for the past
2000
> miles or so until last week when it began failing to engage and got rapidly
> worse until I was unable to activate the OD except by turning off the
engine
and
> then restarting. The dash switch would then activate the OD only once and
if
> flicked it out of OD, it would not reengage if I again activated the dash
> switch. I finally connected a test light to the solenoid. Don't ask why I
didn't
> do that years ago. The test light showed that the electrical circuit was
intact
> and that depressing the dash switch always lit the test light, even when
the
OD
> failed to engage. When I'm parked, I can move the shifter from neutral to
> 3rd/4th and always hear the solenoid click in and out. The fluid level
(30wt
> oil) in the transmission is adequate. So wherein lies the problem? Do I
need
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html