[Healeys] Another "won't start"

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Another "won't start"
From: Robert Duquette <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:38:13 +0000
Recently, very recently, someone posted instructions on how to test the
electrical system.

Could you resend that?

I went out for a drive yesterday ( with my wife again ) for maybe 1.5 hours
round trip includhttp://chelseasmokehouse.com/ing a road construction traffic
jam on the way there and a demonstration traffic detour on the return trip,
with a shortish stop at a store as a destination.  As an aside, I must have a
160 degree thermostat in there, as the temp varied on that hot day between 160
and 190.  So, anyway, I drove there, parked, went into the shop for 10-15
minutes, came out, started and drove home, parked in the driveway while
unloading the food from http://chelseasmokehouse.com/ ( UK content; the newish
owners are from the UK ).  Came back out 5 minutes later with the intention of
doing a couple of local errands and 'click'; 'no start'.  I listened for the
fuel pump, but didn't hear it.  ( no surprise there as I don't hear much with
any kind of background noise )  So, I pushed it into the garage and we
completed our tour in the 'ru.  After a while, I went out to the garage and
turned the key on ( temp gauge around 120 ) and could hear the fuel pump on
quite clearly ( isolated from street sounds, etc ) and got the click when
pressing the start button.  I did it a few times and the car started.  I let
it run for 30 seconds or so, shut it off, and tried again a few times with no
luck.  So, I went through the motions to charge the battery, figuring that a
battery cable had bounced loose again.  The cables appeared to be tight
enough, but I know that I have to make the rounds and make sure connections
are clean and tight.  So ... I connected the battery charger, and  ... it did
not appear to be in bad shape.  So, it would seem to me that I have a heat
related electrical issue ... or my wife is a jinx.  :)

Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada
1965 RHD BRG Austin-Healey Sprite ( project )
1967 RHD MG Midget ( aka: Miss Marple )
1955 Austin-Healey 100 BN1 ( aka: Carmen )

http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/temp/2009FallTour.jpg
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html