Re: [Healeys] Syncro problem

To: Mark LaPierre <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Syncro problem
From: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 21:32:26 +1000
Downchanging sounds fantastic in a Healey. But brake system rebuilds
cost so much less....
And that doesn't really matter whether you have a side change/ centre
shift/ whatever SCCR or STD ratio gearbox.
Rule 1. Brake first.
Rule 2. Change down
Rule 3. Always drive into a corner in this order, irrespective of road
or track.
Everywhere.
The late, great, Peter Hopwood wrote an article about racing a Healey,
and his experiences on the road and track.
It was called (something very much like) "how I learnt to drive faster
by driving slower", when he owned a Healey 3000.
Peter (many years later) became the Australian Sportscar Champion, and
in a Healey 3000, at the very end of his career, was the only man to
pass Denis Welch at Bathurst in 1998. And despite Denis winning every
race in 1998, Peter set the fastest lap time back in 1998.
Peters message back in about 1972? In a paragraph? Brake as hard as
you can, look after your gearbox, then - only then - change down, then
accelerate as hard as you can under power - as hard as you can -
through a corner - to maximize straight line speed.
Obviously there was more than that. But changing down like an F1
driver in a Healey is a recipe for disaster. That's what brakes are
for - to slow you down!
Brake. Then change down.
Not the other way round
Chris