Re: [Healeys] freeze plugs

To: Ed Woods <fogbro1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] freeze plugs
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:18:21 -0700
Note to self:  If Ed every brings me a car for freeze plug replacement, do
not offer to do it for free.  In fact remember to charge EXTRA.
On both the curved type and cupped type I have always coated the edge with
Permatex either #1 or#2.
JB Weld?  ::: shudder:::  No thanks.
The following assumes you can access the soft plug hole and get at it, such
as the engine is on a stand with no manifolds.  In the car?  Have fun.
Better you than me.
For a domed type FP one great large honkin hit with a good sized ball peen
hammer will spread the FP enough to ensure a water tight seal.
Cup type?  Find a big assed socket that just fits inside the cup.  Tap them
in evenly until flush.  Again coat with Permatex.  In the car a thing called
a freeze plug installer is damn near irreplaceable.  Worth every penny.
Freeze plug installer http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/atd-5270.html
Hot rodder thread on freeze plugs
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-right-way-install-freeze-plugs-99101.html

Good luck,