Re: [Healeys] OD problem

To: Ray Carbone <racarbon@verizon.net>, ruvino@ripnet.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] OD problem
From: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 9:00:11 -0400
FWIW, that happened to me once with 30W oil.  I've used the Redline for years
now without any problems.

---- Ray Carbone <racarbon@verizon.net> wrote:

=============
Hi Carl,

If I remember correctly, in a previous post a few months back addressing OD
fluid, a reference was made to a website of an OD rebuilder that did some
tests on the effects of different fluids.  One of the test fluids was Red Line
MTL which represented the class of synthetic fluids.  The result of their test
indicated that, though MTL proved to be one of the best for our ODs, the fluid
would find its way out of the OD through every known, and some new, places.

When I first switched to MTL90, my OD worked very smoothly for the first few
days of use and then would not stay engaged until it stopped engaging
altogether.  Upon investigation, I found fluid had leaked into, and filled,
the solenoid housing with the solenoid piston partially filled with fluid.
After draining the fluid from the housing and cleaning and reinstalling the
solenoid, I buttoned up the unit and it has worked fine ever since.  I did no
top up the OD as I felt it arrived at an equilibrium level with sufficient
capacity to perform properly.

All the best,
Ray Carbone (64BJ8P1)