[Healeys] Running Pretty Rich

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Healeys] Running Pretty Rich
From: "Mark LaPierre" <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 06:25:53 -0400
I returned to the exhaust installer guys last week to check over my system one
more
time to find a leak.  I even gave them the go ahead to remove and reinstall
the hole
system if necessary.   After checking over the entire unit they again claimed
that the
system was tight and had no leaks.  However there were many complaints from
the other
workers about how rich the exhaust smelled.   So the conclusion was that what
I am smelling
is  very rich exhaust fumes and not an exhaust leak.

The car is a 60 BT7, rebuilt eng., all new components, or (rebuilt with new
parts) .
HD6 carbs.

So here we go.    Since I have had the car on the road, (4 months)  the carbs
have run flawlessly.    The choke is operating correctly, the idle is great,
and no dieseling, yae.
But it is in running on the rich side which is noticeable from the fumes that
emanate from my
clothes after driving for a while.

I have HD 6 carbs, (w/ the normal choke set up) which I will try to lean out
in the next couple of weeks.   I will turn back the jet screw a quarter turn
each time and then test drive awhile,  in order to achieve my acceptable
leaner mixer.

Here are a few points that I have .

- I no longer have the intake manifold drip tubes installed.
They have been sealed off.     Could this be a source of my overly rich
exhaust?

- Could the fumes coming from the valve cover and going into the carb filter
be a source of the
fumes?

- Are the HD 6 carbs known to run rich and that is why they switched to
different carbs later on?

- Should I just leave things alone and drive it with a gas mask on my head?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mark
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html