Re: [Healeys] Customs Duty Invoice

To: Neil Anderson <neilandcustom@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Customs Duty Invoice
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 17:28:59 +0800
Curt, et al.,

My initial analysis on this issue may be wrong.

I remember when I was living in the US and ordering from the UK, I
purposefully asked AH Spares/SC Parts/Cape to send stuff to me via Royal
Mail.  Also, whenever I send gifts from Asia (now that I live here) to the
US I always send it via Air Mail.

The reason was/is that I have found that if stuff goes via mail, it does not
get inspected by US Customs.    If you send anything to the US via a private
for profit carrier, like UPS, Fed Ex, DHL or TNT, they will ALWAYS run it
through US Customs.

I believe this is done because the USPS and US Customs are both Government
union shops, so this is bit of an internal protection racket, and a form of
non-financial government support for the USPS.

It is what it is.  If you want to avoid duties in the US, always insist on
your items to be sent via mail carrier.

Alan

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html