[Healeys] Seat Rail Studs Redux Pt 1

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Seat Rail Studs Redux Pt 1
From: HealeyRick <healeyrick@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:19:08 -0800 (PST)
Few weeks back I asked for some tips how to replace some broken studs that
fasten the lower seat rail to the floor.  After distilling the wisdom of the
list and coming up with a few ideas of my own, this is how I did it. I
disassembled the seat rails by knocking out the roll pins and driving out the
seat slides.  Keep track of the eight ball bearings that will disappear under
your workbench if you're not careful.  I then used an angle grinder edge to
grind down the flat circular heads of the studs, then flipped the rail and
drove the broken studs back up through the thinned out heads.  Next, I
purchased some grade 8 bolts that matched the threads of the replacement
T-nuts and were the length of the original studs.I found the heads of the
replacement bolts did not have to be ground down to allow the seat rail to
move back and forth, but I would be unable to put a wrench on the bolts while
tightening the T-nuts from below.  Rather than welding the
 bolt heads to the galvanized frame, I used a generous amount of JB Weld to
glue the bolts to the seat rail.  I used some extra JB Weld to cover the heads
of the bolts as well.

Pt II to follow

Rick

Follow My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo