Re: [Healeys] Vredestein Sprint Classic - Feb Calender Pic

To: Richard Kahn <tahoehealey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Vredestein Sprint Classic - Feb Calender Pic
From: Randy Hicks <healey100m@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:52:12 -0400
Actually the 185 x 15 look to be about an inch taller then the 165 x 15. The
185/70 x 15 are about the same height as the 165 x 15's. The 185/70's are
wider than the 185 x 15  and both being wider than the 165's.

On my BJ8, the 185 x 15 seem to track better in a straight line and better
thru a corner. My guess is that the side wall is thicker (heavier) on the 185
x 15 since it is taller. The 185/70, which were on m BJ8 before replacement,
the side wall seems to flex more under load, but I have no technical specs on
this.

Heavy wet traction seems the same in both sizes. Dry traction is also very
good in both. I think the Verdestein ride a little softer than the Michelins
and will not give as long a tread life. But I'm putting more 10K - 15K  miles
a year on them.

165 X 15 seem too small for me but I like a more aggressive look.

Randy

On Feb 19, 2011, at 2:06 PM, Richard Kahn wrote:

> I guess you are right. .04 of an inch larger.  Do you feel that much
difference in traction? Visually they should appear the same from the side. My
new 165's are currently in transit from Hendrix. I bought them sight unseen as
they were the only quality, long lasting tire available. I'm giving up
Michelins made in 2001 for safety as they have half the tread left.
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html