Re: [Healeys] Rear Hub Bearing Challange

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear Hub Bearing Challange
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:12:57 -0700
This doesn't sound right.  The bearings should go into the hub without
inordinate effort with a hydraulic press.  I
don't think they should bind at all after insertion.  These are roller
bearings, don't think there should be any preload.

I pull the hubs using a combination of the axel reversed and a large gear
puller.  I've always been able to get them
back on with a piece of steel tube the same ID as the inner race and a, ahem,
suitable instrument of persuasion.  You
can warm the hub and bearings up a little in the oven (obviously not hot enough
to melt the seals).

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net