[Healeys] 57 Healey

Subject: [Healeys] 57 Healey
From: ah at jharper.demon.co.uk (John Harper)
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 08:34:32 +0000
I don't know if this applies in the States but I also have this problem
in my house with an integral garage. I put it down to the volatility of
fuels that are being produced these days.

I am fairly certain that I have no leaks so I believe that it is due to
the fuel left in the float chambers evaporating due to the residual heat
left in the engine bay when I park the car. It is particularly
noticeable after a long journey on a hot day.

I have experimented by adding a temporary switch to the fuel pump and
let the engine run until the fuel runs out; therefore the float chambers
are virtually empty. Having done this there is little or no smell of
fuel when I close the garage door. With the door closed the garage is
quite small and well sealed against drafts. The fuel vapour smell is
very noticeable if I don't let the fuel run out. The alternative is to
leave the door open for about 3 or 4 hours. This works, but gives me a
security risk.

Regards

--
John Harper