Re: [Healeys] Wire wheel hubs - how?

To: "Dr. Barry Simmons" <bsdds@bellsouth.net>, Per Schoerner
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wire wheel hubs - how?
From: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 20:01:44 -0400
I 2nd Greg's comments.

---- Greg Lemon <glemon@neb.rr.com> wrote:

=============
Alright, I have tried to resist, but can't help myself here, nothing against
you finger tight guys, but I have always wacked my knock ons tight with a
copper or lead hammer, I understand the theory of self tightening, it
probably works to some extent, but I have a number of thoughts about it:

1.  If you want it tight why not do it yourself instead of trusting the self
tightening theory.

2.  I have purchased several cars with very worn out wheels and hubs, if
self tightening works so well I would think they would tighten themselves to
the point where they did not rock back and forth and wear out the splines,
if they torque themselves to ideal torque why do they wear out?.

3.  Once I have replaced bad wheels and hubs and used my practice of
whacking them on good I have had no wear or problems with my hubs or
splines.

Greg Lemon
Happy Whacker since 1983