[Healeys] BN4 reflectors

Subject: [Healeys] BN4 reflectors
From: peter.svilans at rogers.com (Peter Svilans)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:53:01 -0400
This subject of bullet reflectors is still a controversial area, with many
holding strong opinions.

Here's my version.  I've collected quite a number of reflectors over the years
and have dismantled them and checked carefully for fading, etc.

Yes, they certainly do fade, and quite a bit, but the faded ones clearly show
evidence of the original darker colour around the inside edges where the
plastic is protected from the sun by the rubber.  Amber bullets can have faded
to white or clear on top, yet usually show more colour underneath.

The unfaded ones show a rich, uniform colour across both cats' eye disc and
bullet.  I have examples of NOS red ones in boxes, pristeen perfect amber ones
and one pair of white ones.

Unfortunately, the original period Lucas catalogs show only a red colour,
despite noting colour variants for other lamps and lenses.  They are all Lucas
Model RER7, or Austin # 1B 9056, changing to BMK 352 for the flush flat ones.
This reflector was also available without the bullet cone (called the Cover in
the Lucas catalog).  Also many of the bullet cones have been removed over the
years (having been broken or faded), leaving just the flat reflector part,
giving a sunken look, unlike the perfectly flush later type. The reflector is
marked "Lucas Reflex Made in England"  "Top" with "1.5" at the bottom for the
ones incorporating the cone.  The coneless, sunken versions tend to have
"BS*2515 Grade 2" in addition to the "1.5" at the bottom.

I believe that the 100-Six had amber bullets, changing to red bullets around
the 3000 intro, and then changing to flush flat red reflectors at BN7 # 9453
and BT7 # 9389 as per the Parts Book. Change points are fuzzy.

There is also a rarer variation of "bullet" reflector with a subtly different
shape of chrome ring, as well as the bullet tapering directly from the ring to
the point-  without the normal short straight section before tapering to the
point, of which I have one example.

All had a paper disc under the reflector which read "The maximum efficiency is
obtained when face of reflex is vertical and facing direct to the rear", and
on the reverse "Wax is used to prevent deterioration and may show white on
rubber. It may be removed with a soft cloth"

In the unlikely event someone might be interested in this trivia, I can send
closeups of NOS and dismantled faded examples.

Best regards
Peter