[Healeys] BN4 reflectors

Subject: [Healeys] BN4 reflectors
From: cleona44 at hotmail.com (Jim Lesher)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 22:49:18 -0400
Peter - send me all the close up photos and dismantled faded examples, I need
some Healey trivia to look at and review. I want to compare them to my pile of
reflectors.
I don't see any part number changes of these reflectors for the Longbridge
BN4's, but I thought the use of the amber vs red was determined by the country
that took delivery of the 100-six.
thanks for your clarification - jim lesher

> From: peter.svilans at rogers.com
> To: healeys at autox.team.net
> Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:53:01 -0400
> Subject: [Healeys] BN4 reflectors
>
> This subject of bullet reflectors is still a controversial area, with many
> holding strong opinions.
>
> Here's my version. I've collected quite a number of reflectors over the
years
> and have dismantled them and checked carefully for fading, etc.
>
> Yes, they certainly do fade, and quite a bit, but the faded ones clearly
show
> evidence of the original darker colour around the inside edges where the
> plastic is protected from the sun by the rubber. Amber bullets can have
faded
> to white or clear on top, yet usually show more colour underneath.
>
> The unfaded ones show a rich, uniform colour across both cats' eye disc and
> bullet. I have examples of NOS red ones in boxes, pristeen perfect amber
ones
> and one pair of white ones.
>
> Unfortunately, the original period Lucas catalogs show only a red colour,
> despite noting colour variants for other lamps and lenses. They are all
Lucas