[Healeys] Oil routing in engine

Subject: [Healeys] Oil routing in engine
From: austin.healey at gmail.com (Chris Dimmock)
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 00:08:14 +1000
Gary. The oil feed to the C Series engine cam (i.e 6 cyl Healey) and
the A  series cam (i.e spridgets) and the B Series (i.e. Mgbs etc) is
identical.
There is no positive lubrication to the cam followers. It is a 'splash
and pray" lubrication system. Which fails on sedans after 50,000 miles
at 3,500 - 4,000 rpm. It fails much faster in a Healey at closer to
5,000 - 5.500 rpm. And on a race motor over 6,000 rpm - forget it.
I am now 90% through an article on this. I did a "show and tell"
session at our last Healey Club meeting.
Thaw major lubrication issue on our engines is the cam followers, and
the oil pump drive on the cam.
There are 2 solutions. One is cheap, and modifies existing stuff, and
is fine for the mostly sub 5,000 rpm road cars.
The other is a redesiged cam, which fixes the design issue, and
provided longevity for cars taken over 5,000 rpm regularly.
Give me a day or two....
Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com.

Sent from my iPhone