[Healeys] Crazy crazy California - S. Carolina DMVs

Subject: [Healeys] Crazy crazy California - S. Carolina DMVs
From: healey.nut at gmail.com (Alan Seigrist)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 07:11:38 +0800
All -

Ok, so I live in Hong Kong but I like to keep my California driver's license
up to date.  I get my once-every-5 year's-renewal notice and I go into the
DMV today to renew my license.  I think it will be simple... .... guess
again.

So the lady tells me they can't renew my license because I have an unpaid
traffic ticket from when I lived in South Carolina in.... drum roll please
.... 1992.  (now press the button here: http://sadtuba.com/)

They've renewed my license 4 times since 1992 no problem, but all of a
sudden they discover I have an unpaid ticket from 20 years ago?

This begs two questions:

1) If I steal some money, the statue of limitations on that is only 7 years,
but an unpaid traffic ticket is for life?
2) If I ask the state of California for a breakdown of how they spend tax
money, they will laugh at me, but somehow or another they know I have an
unpaid traffic ticket from 20 years ago?

Sorry just venting.  I suspect I will be able to clear this up in the
morning, but nonetheless sometimes I have to question the priorities of
government....

Best,

Alan