[Healeys] cylinder head questions

Subject: [Healeys] cylinder head questions
From: ardmorebusiness at xtra.co.nz (ardmorebusiness at xtra.co.nz)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:03:20 +1200
Chris and Gary,
I also have an original works head.  It too has the AEC 721 number
cast into the top.
As an aside, I was told long ago that the heads were made 'after
hours' when production had stopped for the day. They were apparently
made from recycled diff. heads that had been melted down.
I've not done a side-by-side comparison of the 721 and the 960 or
blue-printed either of them, but I have been told that there is also a
slight difference in the squish area in the heads, the 721 being
considered the better designed one.
One of our racers here in NZ actually replaced the 960 on his BJ8 with
the 721.  He reckoned it gave him a marginal improvement in
performance. I don't know how scientific his analysis was  . . .  that
was back in the 70s.

Cheers
Mark Donaldson
Auckland. NZ