Re: [Healeys] business

To: "'Ralph Cap'" <rjcapo1@yahoo.com>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] business
From: "Rich Chrysler" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 12:42:03 -0500
Ralph,

Nice in theory but........
I am in the Healey restoration business in my own small way so I think I can
speak from experience.

Finding a subject car that you can do restoration work on, and then sell the
car within that price range is going to be highly unlikely if not
impossible. On one hand, a $15,000 Healey purchase today is most likely
going to need a huge amount of work, most of it being metal work. Then
there's the necessary mechanical, paintwork, interior, the list goes on. Of
course the unscrupulous might take something in this price range and throw a
quick and dirty facelift at it and sell it as "restored" which it certainly
is not. Such a person won't be in business very long and the Healey
community is small enough that the word will soon spread like wild fire.

On the other hand, a car that only needs a refresh to be a good driver is
likely going to start in the $30,000 price range and quickly go up from
there, leaving you a very tight margin for making any profit.

You may want to rethink this very carefully.

One thing the Healey world does NOT need is another so called "restoration"
that in fact is only a 20 footer needing virtually everything to be done
properly. And there's nothing worse than the unsuspecting new owner landing
one of these and then soon finding out the awful truth, now with too much
money into the purchase to be able to afford to have it done right.

Regards,
Rich Chrysler