Re: [Healeys] Exhaust flange gaskets

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Exhaust flange gaskets
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:13:16 -0800
Ugh.  Been fighting this for a few years now.

I've looked everywhere, and there seem to be two variants of gasket:
1) copper-faced sandwich, with some white stuff in the middle
2) (silver) perforated metal sandwich, with some black stuff in the middle

Neither hold up well--the 'meat' in the sandwich gets blown out in fairly short
order.  Of the two, I think the
silver/black type hold up a little better (this is what Moss sent last time I
ordered).  I've taken to flat-filing the
downpipe flanges as smooth and flat as possible, and putting high-temp silicone
(copper colored) on the faces of the
gaskets.  Along with properly torquing, and double-nutting the flange nuts the
results are serviceable.

I once tried to get a custom gasket company to make some solid copper gaskets.
I sent them one for a pattern, but never
heard back.

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net