[Healeys] PCV - Crankase Ventilation Valve

Subject: [Healeys] PCV - Crankase Ventilation Valve
From: bluehealey at gmail.com (Alan Bromfield)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:05:09 +0100
My BN4 restoration is complete. I collected the car on Saturday from
having the weather equipment made up - Tonneau and Hood - and
trailered it home. The weather here has been glorious with blue skies
and temperatures around of 18degrees (65F). Lovely spring weather.
Yesterday I took it for a shake down run and was quietly impressed and
proud with how it drove. The ride is supple yet firm, the steering is
very positive and fairly light and the whole body shell is very solid
with no rattles or scuttle shake. There are a few snags to address
such as a wildly optimistic fuel gauge (shows full at 2 gallons!) and
no movement on the temperature gauge. That will be a pain to strip out
for repair.
The only other major snag was a whistling noise from the front of the
engine which I thought was the water pump or alternator bearing. I
removed the fan belt but the squeal/whistle was still there -
definitely from the front of the engine. I don't know why I did it,
but when I pulled the dipstick the whistle stopped. When I put it back
it gradually resumed.
I finally came to the conclusion that the PCV valve, fitted exactly as
recommended by Norman Nock in his technical topics book (Page 98), was
the culprit. The vacuum being pulled on the crankcase at tickover
appears to be sufficient to cause air to be drawn in past the front
crankshaft pulley seal.
I really want to keep the PCV as it provided real benefits when I
fitted one to my BJ8, reducing oil mist and leaks.
Does anyone have any advice how the suction might be reduced so that I
don't get this noise?  Could the PCV be faulty allowing too much
suction at tickover?
I would welcome your input.
--