[Healeys] HD8 adjustment

Subject: [Healeys] HD8 adjustment
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 09:48:57 -0700
Welllllllllll ... since you asked for 'theories:'

Seems possible that SU used the same size passageways for the HD8s as for
earlier carbs (HX6s).  Since the BJ8 has a
'hotter' cam, allowing greater airflow, the passageways may be too small to
allow enough mixture flow at idle.  Or maybe
the passageways are larger, but still not large enough to allow for greater
necessary mixture flow.  Also, I believe
earlier carbs had no bypass circuit at all, so idle was set in the
'traditional' fashion.

At any rate, I never liked the idea of the throttle plates being allowed to
slam shut against the throttle bore, so I
tune my BJ8's HD8s with just a bit of throttle open at idle.  That way, the
throttle stops perform their named purpose,
instead of the throttle bores, and I can fine-tune the idle--e.g. for air
density changes at altitude--easily and return
them when I land.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net