[Healeys] Tacho not working

Subject: [Healeys] Tacho not working
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 05:44:29 -0700
I've done a lot of work on my BJ8's speedometer--the tach is basically a
speedometer without the gearing for the
odometer and trip meter.

You can go through the tach yourself.  There is no mystery--the cable rotates a
magnet which causes a flanged flat disk
to turn ('magnetic coupling') which moves the needle.  There are no ball or
roller bearings to be concerned about; the
cable drives a small shaft--which kinda looks like a little camshaft--to turn
the magnet.  There is a small watch spring
to return the needle to zero.   Probably what's happened is whatever lubricant
was on the small shaft has dried out and
impeded the needle and plate from turning.  Worst case is the old/misrouted
cable damaged or wore out something.

You'll need a jeweler's screwdriver kit ($5-10).  Get a clean workbench and I
lay down paper towels to keep small bits
from escaping.  The Anthony Rhodes 'white paper' on speedometers that's been
around forever might be helpful.   I use
'electronic circuit cleaner' to clean the parts; DO NOT use 'electrical parts
cleaner;' it's too harsh.  I use a light
lithium grease to lubricate the shaft.

If anything's busted and you can't find the part then you can button it back up
and send it out for service (I'm
guessing about $100-200 plus shipping, etc.).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net