[Healeys] Spitting again

Subject: [Healeys] Spitting again
From: mayorrichard at hotmail.com (richard mayor)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:50:33 +0000
Sometimes oil mist gets up into the distributor and affects the points  ....
creating a misfire.  A simple check is to take a business card and drag it
through the points when they are closed. If you see a smudge on the card, it
is oil. That will temporarily fix the problem.  This actually happens
frequently when you use  synthetic oil as it can get past the bushings and up
into the top of the distributor and cause misfiring. .  A good fix for that is
to remove the distributor, invert it, and spray brake clean up into it to
flush out the oil film and residue.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:25:30 -0400
> From: tomfelts at windstream.net
> To: javrugtman at htcnet.org; healeys at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Spitting again
>
> Thanks John---I forgot to mention that I also changed all plugs--------
>
> I guess it could be a fuel starvation problem---maybe the FP is working
intermittently.

> tom
> ---- John Vrugtman <javrugtman at htcnet.org> wrote:
>
> =============
> Bad plug?
>
> On 4/22/2012 8:32 AM, Tom Felts wrote:
> > Thought I had discovered why my BJ8 was missing.  I had found a stuck pin
in the dist cap and grease on the rotor contact, so cleaned everything up and
miss stopped------for a while--then a little more missing.  Replaced the dist
cap and all wires, rotor---ran great for a while then missing.  Now missing
pretty bad.

> > So far:
> > I have replaced the rotor--no change
> > Replaced the dist cap--NC
> > replaced the wires--NC
> > Replaced the end caps on the wires---NC
> > Replaced the coil---NC (Lucus Sport)
> >
> > Havent replaced the Pertronix (10 + years) since, as I understand it, when
they go it is all of a sudden and you get no spark.

> > Anyone have any ideas as to what to persue next------I hear the FP pumping
so assume there is sufficient fuel to the carbs.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/tomfelts at windstream.net