[Healeys] dwell

Subject: [Healeys] dwell
From: coudesluijs at chello.nl (Oudesluys)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 09:00:30 +0200
Dwell angle meters are actually quite accurate. It is setting the gap
that is rather inaccurate, and depending on the skill of the (home)
mechanic. After a few thousand miles the dwell angle will be off partly
because of wear of the points, but these days also because of the
plastic lobe that runs on the cams of the distributor shaft. In the ol'
days this lobe was made of fiber and lasted much better, also the poits
were of a different material that did not wear as fast as the modern
ones made in India, China, Vietnam or whatever. Chuck the the points and
go electronic. Costs little money, from as cheap as $50 or even less,
and if fitted properly lasts a lifetime without needing attention to the
timing. The only disadvantage is that you tend to forget to service the
distributor regularly. It still needs the odd drop of oil on top of the
shaft and the occasional squirt of thin oil or WD40 on the weights and
springs under the base plate.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

--
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183
E: coudesluijs at chello.nl

Technische commissie Jensen Healey en GT
Het Jensen Genootschap Holland
www.jensenholland.nl