Re: [Healeys] dwell

To: Richard Kahn <tahoehealey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] dwell
From: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 01:16:14 +1000
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=references:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:cc:x-mailer:from:subject:date :to; bh=3DGcw0ar+EbZmOQu/47a76p/xb7v1duSThHtXvj95Js=; b=I/7MipifqqlhSYPi3neBdgc3WArx0gWUD1ihhwPiGplD/56EivbBP7OfwQR3ZQD8mu QNWafa+Au0iA3xhCJk6xFepHk316ikV75hgFqPc4r+/KP/SzOYdetkv/OUvC3wtPTwA2 x5icf/ozI48nYnZ7/Xh9oQIwHXIK6wCggvkt918LjzH7SHJFD6I4+qSUvhbGSi8oKCs4 JaKdToONN7lSdIbGq3X6B8gIWlIa0KG7Oni/enAcV+Td6qpoCnHlh7agZpH2a9TUYJTa 0DH29PfkZ2nWEnh+1cFGl22krOHhimlfK6uYUEBNpGO43awgB+hLNcqFZPA0ZVvCwlOh 7Pqw==
Sender: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net
With all due respect, guys.
I never stir up people on this list!
;-)
But Seriously. We all make assumptions.
I think you both did.
Personally, let's just make this about facts. Is that fair????
Ok.
Facts.
1. Richard K.
You didn't specify which distributor you had. DM6? 25D6? Which model Lucas? Is
it even a Lucas? Modified engine? All bets are off if it isn't ...
You know different Lucas cams have different dwell angles? They aren't all
identical??
2. Richard E.
Mate. You've done this a thousand times, but mostly with the distributor in
your hand... Where you can look, measure, and refer to books, because you know
they arent all the same... You offered your expertise based on assumptions -
and rules of thumb. Yeah. Good rules of thumb - but still...
We all know Lucas distributors have more dwell. Generally, Lucas points stay
closed longer. My guess why?? Crap Lucas coils.... Mallory are different.
BUT - If Richard K didn't say, you can't assume? Ok Richard E?
Guys. I love a good argument!!
;-)
But only if it's factual, and educational, and entertaining, and if everyone
plays the ball. Not the man.
Ok. So it's my throw in.... It's Rugby!!

So..... Personally, I think dwell is a waste of time, and is only for blokes
with expensive instruments, who can't correctly use a cheap feeler guage.
Ok?
Just play the ball...
;-)
Sincerely.