[Healeys] Optima batteries

Subject: [Healeys] Optima batteries
From: robertduquette at sympatico.ca (Robert Duquette)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 08:29:33 -0400
Has anyone ever installed a pair of the optima 6V batteries in their car?
They are 10" long at their longest point.  I'm guessing 9" length for the main
body with a longer base for clamping down.  Optima sent me a CAD drawing of
the battery, but I can't open it from this device.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_media/documents/specs/6V_121207.pdf
Or
http://tinyurl.com/8y5ew5l

I seem to have a romantic attachment to dual sixes, but I have next to none
for the corrosive aspects of the older style batteries.

I have constructed a light cardboard box of the maximum dimensions of the
optima and put it in place of one of the original type batteries.  I also
removed the tray and one of the battery hold down rods.  I put some images of
the clearances at the link below.  Select the links that begin with 6v, if you
are interested.  I originally placed it diagonally, thinking that keeping it
as far away from the diff and drive shaft was a good idea.  I took pictures
that way.  I think building battery trays would be a major task for me.  I've
since moved it to straight back, but can't post an image from here. :(  I
believe that they will fit.  But, how much will that rear end move?

http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/temp/

Has anyone done this?

PS: I am the type who likes my modifications to bolt in and bolt out.