Re: [Healeys] Ignition Problem BJ8

To: "'Jonas Payne'" <JPayne@ThorCon.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ignition Problem BJ8
From: "Harlan Polk" <happolk@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 15:39:50 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Sender: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net
Jonas,
Sounds like a heat soak related open or short circuit. In swapping the coil
and condenser, you arrested the key suspects. I would bet even after the
swap, the condenser is shorting when hot. Other possibilities are a carbon
track in the distributor cap from center contact to one spark plug or to the
distributor housing, or a breakdown of the coil to distribution high tension
wire insulation, or an open in the coil low voltage wire or ground. I
suggest first moving this wire so it has different near touching or
grounding points, exchanging it end to end would do this. Next would be a
careful inspection of the distributor cap. Then running a parallel patch
wire from ignition hot to the coil. After that I join you in confusion. A
graduate of the US Army Command and General Staff College share with me one
of their teachings "If you are not confused, you do not understand the
situation." Perhaps we "understand" it together.
Hap