Re: [Healeys] Moss Motors adjustable camber bushing set

To: "warthodson@aol.com" <warthodson@aol.com>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Moss Motors adjustable camber bushing set
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 09:53:41 -0500
Gary,

Look at these photos and maybe you can see where I'm coming from in my
description of what I think happens when an offset hole in the  trunion
bushings (fulcrum bushes) will cause the effect of having the king pin either
towards the engine or away depending on where the hole is located.  The angle
of rotation is around the fulcrum pin on the lower wishbone but the upper
fulcrum pin will maintain the position of the upper portion of the king pin in
relation to the lower fulcrum pin and causing a change in camber with negative
camber being created when the offset hole in the bushing is toward the engine.
That is unless I'm missing something here.  On some british cars the trunion
is oriented 180deg. out from a 3000 which would give you the camber relation
that you describe.   Sometimes things aren't as simple as I see them though
since I'm just a simple shade tree Healey enthusiast.

George Haywood
'65 bj8

George,
I do not see how having the king pin inside or outside of the fulcrum pin has
anything to do with it.
The hole is never closer to or farther away from the engine. The hole,
regardless of where it is orientated, is always the same distance from the
engine because it is located by the fulcrum pin which is in a fixed location
determined by the shock arms. When the bushing is orientated as shown in Moss
Motors left illustration (towards the engine, but not closer to the engine),
it is the fulcrum & therefore the top of the king pin which is located farther
away (not closer) to the engine resulting in more positive camber, not less
camber.
Gary Hodson

Gary,
 If you look at the orientation of the king pin to the upper fulcrum pin and
bushes you'll note that the fulcrum pin is outboard of the king pin therefore
with the hole in the bush toward the engine the king pin will be positioned
toward the engine thus giving less camber. It took me a while to figure it out
also. If the fulcrum pin were oriented in line vertically with the king pin
then what you are saying would be correct. However that is an impossibility in
design so the fulcrum pin has to be either outboard or inboard of the king
pin. Hope this helps.
 Take care,
 George Haywood

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg]