Re: [Healeys] Smith's Temp Gauge

To: Charlie Schott <schottc@knology.net>, BJ8 Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>, 'healeylist' <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Smith's Temp Gauge
From: Bert Van Brande <bertvanbrande@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 20:02:30 -0800 (PST)
Hi Charlie,

These capillary gauges are very simple but reasonably easily
repaired.  You probably heated the nut and bulb way above 230F expanding the
Bourdon tube in the gauge beyond what it was designed for and I hope for you
it's just "stuck" in this position.   The Bourdon tube pushes/pulls a little
curved "rack" which rotates a little gear on the shaft where the needle
connects to, so you might just have pushed it beyond it's range.   if this is
the case and the bourdon tube is not too stretched or damaged then the
gear/rack could be re-engaged and re-calibrated.  Accuracy after this
operation?  Who knows?  Also the hairspring that is supposed to bring the
needle back might not be operating properly.  A lot's of "if's".   I hope you
didn't smell any ether which could point to a leak.

Scroll down on this page
for a nice pic of the mechanism:  http://www.eddinsmoto.com/id119.htm

Bert