Re: [Healeys] Another con - fused question

To: "'Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Another con - fused question
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 09:53:51 -0500
What raised this discussion in the first place was fusing the overdrive
circuit.  The O/D solenoid has a pull-in coil that draws high current and a
holding coil that draws less current.  The solenoids can fail in such a way
that the internal switch from the pull-in coil to the holding coil does not
work, leaving the pull-in coil continuously activated and drawing high
current.  The concern is that the high current can damage the wiring to the
O/D.  I had such a failure once that burned up the solenoid but it did not
damage the wiring, fortunately.  But the possibility that it could have
convinced me to put a fuse in the circuit.  The ultimate purpose of a fuse
is to protect the wiring, because it's much easier to replaced a failed
component than melted wire in the harness.

You can put a fuse in the white wire, but the white wire is a heavier gauge
than the wire to the O/D solenoid.  I preferred to put the fuse in the
white/green wire to the gearshift switch and solenoid so that the smaller
gauge wire is protected.  Plus, if the fuse blows, I can be pretty sure the
problem is either in the O/D wire or the solenoid.  A blown fuse in the
white wire leaves several other possibilities to have to investigate (relay,
throttle switch, dash switch and wiring to them).'

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA