Re: [Healeys] California Drivers

To: "AH Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] California Drivers
From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 15:14:26 -0800
Kees:  Having lived and driven in Europe a couple of times for a total of
about 6 years, I am well aware of the price of gasoline there.  However, I
am talking California, USA.  You may be used to paying the high price, we
are not.

California has a base price of gasoline that is higher than most other
states (specialized blends).  If stocks get low, for whatever reason- as
they are now due to refinery maintenance - the result is a price jump
(supply and demand?).  Another trigger is price speculation in the futures
market.  Add those to the fluctuating price of a barrel of oil.  Now add in
the California law that prohibits California from importing gasoline from
other states because they do not have the same blends.  Demand can be high
but supply can be limited and there is no source to supplement our supply.

People that must drive are not prepared to add these increases to their
budgets.  Gas prices have spiked between 57 and 59 cents over the past 30
days.  The price in Los Angeles is 11.3 cents more than last week and 57
cents higher than last month.  In San Francisco, the price is $4.22 a
gallon.  A week ago, it was $4.08 and 56 cents more than what motorists were
paying a month ago.  Compare that to $3.20 per gallon in Wyoming and Montana
and you see why Californians get upset.

Granted, there is a major difference between the price of your gasoline
compared to ours.  However, historically, it has been that way for a long
time and it is a shock for us when prices take such major jumps at the pump
in such a short period of time.

(I won't make any snide comments about you having an Arizina (sp) in the
Netherlands.  Gas in our Arizona is $3.69/gallon)    ;-)

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031