Re: [Healeys] BJ8 radiator cap issue

To: warthodson@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 radiator cap issue
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 23:05:56 +0200
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Gary,

The bellows will not always collaps in the sense that they get damaged.
Because of the higher external pressure the bellows will contract until
the vapour pressure (sorry I do not know and cannot find the correct
English term) of the medium in the bellows (probably aether, ethanol,
methanol or similar or a mixture) is the same as in the cooling system,
thus effectively (partly) closing the thermostat. This means that the
coolant temperature has to rise to open the thermostat again, hence the
higher readings. In effect by raising the pressure in the cooling system
you also raise the opening temperature of the thermostat. By returning
to the lower cooling system pressure the function of the bellows
thermostat will return to normal again.
Raising the coolant temperature at the higher pressure is no big deal.
In effect it will create a more efficient engine and a better heat
transfer as the Delta T between radiator and air is increased.

I have always raised the operating temperatures ( usually between
82-960C) on my cars, adding if necessary an expansion vessel, a bigger
radiator and a thermostatically controlled electric fan and often also
raised the pressure as to prevent boiling.
You can still use a bellows thermostat, but you cannot rely on its given
opening temperature. Determine that when it is installed when you watch
your temperature gauge.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

--
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183

Technische commissie Jensen Healey en GT
Het Jensen Genootschap Holland
www.jensenholland.nl