Re: [Healeys] Steel wheels again

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steel wheels again
From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <shop@justbrits.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 11:46:17 -0500
<< On 5/2/2013 9:35 AM, m.brouillette@comcast.net wrote:

I have used a product on a number of stubborn rust problems on different parts
and swear by evapo-rust. >>

Haven't used it in awhile Mike, but I too liked it quite well.

Personally, the BEST results to date on any LBC wheel has been Blasting with
Skat-Magic
from Tip Tools at around 20 psi and staying AWAY from thew wheel so as to not
ADD pits
<G> <F> <G> ! !

Then immediate rinse (drowning) with either Touelen, laq. thinner or Hog Wash
Brake
Cleaner (UN-real 'clean'), let dry overnite and spray with (now) a Permatex
(Item # 81849)
Product "79 DA"   "Rust Treatment" in a couple LITE coats & let dry 26 to 48
hours
dependant on the 'results' I am seeing.  Stuff reacts to rust ONLY by turning
black even
to a feathered edge <G> ! !  Rest of Item being treated STAYS blasted finish
'colour'.

Permatex bought it from org. discoverer/manufacturer about 15 - 18 years ago
and even
KEPT can colour and top labeling ! ? !

I have done both epoxy prime/topcoat and topcoat only.  The wheels I still see
still look
great after 6 to 8 years.

I did a set of MGTD wheels a couple years ago of the riveted variety
where SERIOUS
'spacing' of center/rim is apparent.  For those, pre-Spray was a flood
brush on + spray &
LOTS more sanding ! ! ! <groan> !

Ed
Please visit MY site at:                         www.justbrits.com

PS:  I got the wheel 'colour' mails a bit too late to answer but I
would have to question the
changing of colours from WW (Ford Argent Silver was best I have last
read/heard?!?)
colour to a different Steel Wheel colour ? ? ?
PPS:  FoMoCo Argent Silver is "Concours Correct" for Sprites, IIRC ? ! ?
PPPS:  Curt ???   Gary ???