Re: [Healeys] BJ8 grill paint

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 grill paint
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 16:50:21 -0400
Rich, whenever I paint anything I first make sure that the surface is
absolutely clean.  First, I wash it with soap and water, then I wipe it down
with a degreaser (acetone or lacquer thinner) and sometimes follow that with
wiping with Windex.  The grille surround needs to be primed where the
aluminum paint goes, so mask it off and then prime it (I used SEM
self-etching gray primer, available from the local auto parts store).
After all that, the specific topcoat you use doesn't matter so much, but I
used a Plastikote Aluminum #203 in a spray can.  I did this in 1999 and have
never had to repaint or even touch it up.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA