Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Large oil consumption

To: Niels Bengaard <bengaard@850r.dk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Large oil consumption
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:27:39 +0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Niels -

If the oil feed banjo bolt is loose, then excess oil will leak into the
rocker area.  I'd check that first before assuming the worst.  Also, was
your oil pressure showing high?  If it's too high you'll get a similar
result.

On the rear axle, if you are getting any leakage around your hubs, check to
make sure the lug nuts are tight on the spline hub.  If they aren't tight,
it will leak and your hub studs will wear out!  If it's all set up
correctly with paper gasket and o-ring, then it should NOT leak if the hub
is tightly bolted per the manual spec.

Also, if recently rebuilt with rear crank seal, there's no where for excess
crankcase pressure to go, so it pushes oil out every possible spot it can -
especially on long trips.  Suggest you install a PCV (easy to do) which
will help equalize the pressure in the crankcase, I think you will find
this is your problem.

If your motor was recently rebuilt, then the oil problem is related to the
rebuild and stuff not being properly sorted just yet.  I'd be very
surprised if anything is actually wrong with the motor itself, it's just
not sorted properly, that's all.

Best,

Alan