Re: [Healeys] Healeys

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 11:11:37 +0200
You just opened a can of worms, splendid.
Although I think that the later 6-cilinder AH's looked better than the
BN1, I always disliked that heavy lump of cast iron under the bonnet.
What about a 6 in line BMW engine. Plenty of those around. I have seen
some very neat conversions using that engine, especially in a Jensen
541S which originally had a 4 liter 6 in line Austin engine. They had to
fit much weaker front springs and alter the shocks but it resulted in a
far better road behaviour and, not unimportant, the steering effort
became much more manageable and pleasant.There should be a few Japs as
well that can supply enough 6 in line grunt. I am not sure if
Datsun/Nissan supplied any lightweight/aluminium 6 in line engines but
if so it would keep it a bit in the family as Datsun more or less
started life producing and developing/improving Austin products. I have
heard that even the early (and perhaps later) in line sixes from
Datsun/Nissan will match up with an Austin gearbox.
Do not forget the lightweight Buick derived Rover V-8 which should fit
without to much bother and also has some relation to Austin.
There are probably some Australian engines as well that are suitable but
I do not know anything of those.
Not only did BMC self destruct, the entire UK car industry did. Only
some assembly from foreign cars left: e.g. Nissan and Mini (BMW) plus
some niche manufacturers mostly in in foreign ownership, e.g. Lotus,
Rolls Royce, Morgan
Kees Oudesluijs