Re: [Healeys] Did iridescent colours originally have clear coat over the

To: Andy Thorp <bce257@yahoo.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Did iridescent colours originally have clear coat over them?
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 19:39:25 +0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a1138181052b653050df12c0c

Yes, the paints were made with a very fine metal powder and if not top
coated they would oxidize immediately.  Thankfully they top coated them, so
that the paints would last an astronomical 12-24 months until they oxidized
anyway.

On Saturday, January 31, 2015, Andy Thorp <bce257@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Well I'm getting close to the final painting of 40559 and have decided I
> don't like the modern basecoat/clearcoat look and now want to refinish it
> in lacquer for a more original non-sparkly appearance.
>
> Does anyone know if the original Healey Blue cars were top-coated in clear
> lacquer over the "iridescent"? What about on the frame and inner panels?
>
> Is there a recommended source for original formula paints in these modern
> two pack times?
>
> Andy.

--001a1138181052b653050df12c0c

Yes, the paints were made with a very fine metal powder and if not top coat=
ed they would oxidize immediately.=C2=A0 Thankfully they top coated them, s=
o that the paints would last an astronomical 12-24 months until they oxidiz=
 2015, Andy Thorp &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bce257@yahoo.co.nz";>bce257@yahoo.co=
.nz</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0=
 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Guys,<br>
Well I&#39;m getting close to the final painting of 40559 and have decided =
I don&#39;t like the modern basecoat/clearcoat look and now want to refinis=
h it in lacquer for a more original non-sparkly appearance.<br>
Does anyone know if the original Healey Blue cars were top-coated in clear =
lacquer over the &quot;iridescent&quot;? What about on the frame and inner =
panels?<br>
Is there a recommended source for original formula paints in these modern t=
wo pack times?<br>
Andy.</blockquote></div>

--001a1138181052b653050df12c0c--