Re: [Healeys] Did iridescent colours originally have clear coat over the

To: Andy Thorp <bce257@yahoo.co.nz>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Did iridescent colours originally have clear coat over them?
From: Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:00:38 +0000

--_757461a9-7b28-4c1e-b9f7-fac488f033cc_

Andy: I worked briefly in a bodyshop in the early 1970's and at that time=
=2C in Canada at least=2C no one ever used clear coat=2C I don't think it e=
xisted then.=20
While the clear coat is there to make the paint look shinier it is also the=
re to protect the paint from scratches=2C often you could have minor scratc=
hes and you can easily get them buffed without disturbing the base coat=2C =
you won't be able to do that without the clear coat. You cannot get lacquer=
 in many places now at least in North America=2C in Canada most places spra=
y waterborne paint. I wonder if the base paint on Austin-Healeys was enamel=
 instead of lacquer. I had a 1969 E-Type at one point and it was lacquer bu=
t that was a few years after the Austin-Healey was off production.

Jean=20