Re: [Healeys] Water Pump

To: Roger Grace <roggrace@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Water Pump
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 11:53:02 +1300
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a11c3337eed0f5d05102dd8e0

Hi Roger,
If the pump on your car is indeed a recent replacement it is very likely,
based upon my experience with the currently available BJ8 pumps, that the
bearing has failed.
Having disassembled a few of these repop pumps that have been sent to me as
"original cores" I can confirm that these are very poorly made and it is
amazing that they operate at all.
There is no facility for lubricating the bearing as it is a sealed unit.
If you have the original that was removed from your engine I would strongly
recommend having it rebuilt or rebuilding it yourself as they are of far
superior design and when correctly rebuilt last for decades.
Rebuilding instructions are here <http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=3D99=
4>
and I can supply a kit containing the correct parts for $68.65 including US
tracked shipping although I am out of the country at present and would not
be able to get one on its way until after 19 Mar.
Michael S
BN1 #174

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Roger Grace <roggrace@telus.net> wrote:

>   I have identified that my BJ8 water pump is noisy.
> First thought that it was the fan (bad at certain RPM) but after removing
> the belt it squeaks when rotated.
> Looking at my drivers handbook, a lube point is shown.
> However mine does not have one, only a small rectangular hole at the top
> and bottom that I think is for removing the bearing retaining clip....?
> Noise sounds to me like a dry bearing. Is there any way to lubricate it i=
> situ ??
> There is no lateral or longitudinal bearing play and the pump is
> supposedly quite new per PO but not been used much.
> Any ideas ? =E2=80=93or do I just bite the bullet and pull it and get a
> replacement; I note bearings are over 70% of cost of complete pump.
> rg

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--=20
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*

--001a11c3337eed0f5d05102dd8e0

ns ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Roger,<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_de=
fault" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">If th=
e pump on your car is indeed a recent replacement it is very likely,  based=
 upon my experience with the currently available BJ8 pumps, that the bearin=
g has failed. <br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:c=
omic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Having disassembled a few of these=
 repop pumps that have been sent to me as &quot;original cores&quot; I can =
confirm that these are very poorly made and it is amazing that they operate=
 at all.<br>There is no facility for lubricating the bearing as it is a sea=
led unit.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans=
 ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">If you have the original that was removed f=
rom your engine I would strongly recommend having it rebuilt or rebuilding =
it yourself as they are of far superior design and when correctly rebuilt l=
ast for decades.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family=
:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Rebuilding instructions are <a h=
ref=3D"http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=3D994";>here</a> and I can suppl=
y a kit containing the correct parts for $68.65 including US tracked shippi=
ng although I am out of the country at present and would not be able to get=
 one on its way until after 19 Mar.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" s=
tyle=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>=
br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Roger Grace =
uote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1e=
x">
000">
ing=20
the belt it squeaks when rotated.</div>
op=20
and bottom that I think is for removing the bearing retaining clip....?</di=
v>
t in=20
situ ??</div>
sedly=20
quite new per PO but not been used much.</div>
a=20
replacement; I note bearings are over 70% of cost of complete pump.</div><s=
pan class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#888888">
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a><br>
s/michaelsalter@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/=
options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>
color:black">If you can&#39;t fix it with a hammer, you&#39;ve got an elect=

--001a11c3337eed0f5d05102dd8e0--