[Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts
From: Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 16:18:22 +1100
Hi Guys, it is in fact very disappointing the quality of some of the
reproduction parts available for our cars. Whenever possible it is
better to recondition original equipment rather than take the road that
can seem easier by replacing. I have seen the following. New complete
BJ8 steering box where the sector peg was fully soft steel and wore out
in 2000 miles. Alloy petrol tanks that continually crack at the end
seams. Plastic fuel gauge tank unit floats that crack at the clip that
retains them. Ball joint boots that disintegrate quickly.  Cast
aluminium 6 cylinder sumps that are porous and leak oil. Alloy 100
cylinder heads sold as for the 100 when they were in fact Austin A70
commercial heads with Healey valves fitted small deep combustion cambers
and hopeless valve masking. And for goodness sake does anyone make a
Healey exhaust mount that is properly vulcanised rubber to steel and
doesn't fall apart? I know it is hard to make small volume production
but in the real world the suppliers would be getting lots of warranty
claims. My sample is just across 3 cars, so I'm sure there are more out
there. Feel free to reply to the list with what parts have disappointed.
While the list probably should not name and shame the suppliers, we
should be pointing out what to be aware of when buying new reproduction
parts. Wherever possible fix what the original manufacturer produced as
it will have been made to a high standard, with repro, who knows.
Cheers
Larry Varley