Re: [Healeys] LED Turn Signals

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] LED Turn Signals
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 09:18:53 +0200
--===============4869375379546223825==
 boundary="------------040306050804060309040207"

--------------040306050804060309040207

When using LED lights the wiring should be in absolutely perfect
condition with zero resistance everywhere. Even if all Tungsten lights
work as they should beforehand, you could run into difficulties. LED
lights run on a very small current which means that they can also react
on stray currents (e.g. caused by some moisture somewhere or when there
is some small resistance/corrosion) when there is a somewhat less than
good earth somewhere in the system, meaning that some lights do not work
or work when they should not. I encountered this problem several times
and have changed the LED bulbs for the indicator and brake lights where
they are combined in one aperture for the old fashioned Tungsten bulbs.
These sap little power anyway as they are only on for a short time,
apart from the combined rear/indicator bulbs of some cars.
For this reason there are also bulbs and perhaps flashers that have a
built in parallel resistor to counterbalance the very weak power
consumption of LED's. Although this may work, this way it does not save
on power so the exercise is rather meaningless.

Kees Oudesluijs

Team.net schreef op 2-6-2015 om 2:07:
> I had problems as well with the Moss arrangement.  I finally replaced
> their electronic flasher that has the extra ground wire with a
> standard electronic flasher I bought at NAPA with NO ground wire.
>
> I thought it was interesting that Moss never responded to my email
> describing the problem and solution.
>
> May not solve your issue, but worth trying.
>
> Larry Swift
>

> On May 29, 2015, at 3:18 PM, Albert Seminatore <alsemus1@gmail.com
>
>> Looking for some help. I put LEDs in my 1960 Austin Healey â??
>> Directional / parking lights, all dash lights. I worked with Moss to
>> get the correct flasher unit. Everything works fine until I wash the
>> vehicle.
>>
>> After washing the vehicle the dash flasher indicator, on the dash,
>> comes on and stays on. Drive the car for a bit and it will go off and
>> come on randomly. Continue on driving until all is warmed up. Park
>> it. Come back a half hour later and the light is off and the flasher
>> functions correctly.
>>
>> First thought was water got in to the lights â?? opened the lights and
>> no water in them.   What else could cause this temporary failure?
>>
>> It has happend three times so far.
>>
>> ..................    Al
>>

>> --
>> Albert Seminatore
>> Mountain Falls, Pahrump, NV

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.5941 / Virusdatabase: 4354/9918 - datum van uitgifte:
> 06/01/15

--------------040306050804060309040207

  <head>
  </head>
      be in absolutely perfect condition with zero resistance
      everywhere. Even if all Tungsten lights work as they should
      beforehand, you could run into difficulties. LED lights run on a
      very small current which means that they can also react on stray
      currents (e.g. caused by some moisture somewhere or when there is
      some small resistance/corrosion) when there is a somewhat less
      than good earth somewhere in the system, meaning that some lights
      do not work or work when they should not. I encountered this
      problem several times and have changed the LED bulbs for the
      indicator and brake lights where they are combined in one aperture
      for the old fashioned Tungsten bulbs. These sap little power
      anyway as they are only on for a short time, apart from the
      combined rear/indicator bulbs of some cars.<br>
      For this reason there are also bulbs and perhaps flashers that
      have a built in parallel resistor to counterbalance the very weak
      power consumption of LED's. Although this may work, this way it
      does not save on power so the exercise is rather meaningless.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Team.net schreef op 2-6-2015 om 2:07:<br>
      cite="mid:7D1EA651-0E9F-4CAE-8418-3C70CD4AFD7E@gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        replaced their electronic flasher that has the extra ground wire
        with a standard electronic flasher I bought at NAPA with NO
        ground wire.</div>
        email describing the problem and solution.</div>
        On May 29, 2015, at 3:18 PM, Albert Seminatore &lt;<a
          moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:alsemus1@gmail.com";>alsemus1@gmail.com</a>&gt;
        wrote:<br>
              help. I put LEDs in my 1960 Austin Healey â?? Directional /
              parking
              lights, all dash lights. I worked with Moss to get the
              correct
              flasher unit. Everything works fine until I wash the
              vehicle.</p>
              the dash,  comes on and stays on. Drive the car for a
              bit and it will go off and come on randomly. Continue on
              driving
              until all is warmed up. Park it. Come back a half hour
              later and
              the light is off and the flasher functions correctly.</p>
              water got in to the lights â?? opened the lights and no
              water in them.   What else could cause this
              temporary failure?  <br>
            -- <br>
                  Mountain Falls, Pahrump, NV<br>
                eMail:  <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="mailto:alsemus1@gmail.com";
target="_blank">alsemus1@gmail.com</a><br>
              href="http://Team.Net";>Team.Net</a> <a
              moz-do-not-send="true"

      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.5941 / Virusdatabase: 4354/9918 - datum van
        uitgifte: 06/01/15</p>

--------------040306050804060309040207--