Re: [Healeys] MGB GT V8

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] MGB GT V8
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 09:33:51 +0200
--===============5963198045917866541==
 boundary="------------010802080902010604050204"

--------------010802080902010604050204

The Rover V8 engine is a modified version of the all aluminium ex-Buick
engine. It was used in various capacities and states of tune in many UK
cars, e.g. TVR, Land/Range Rover, the later MG V8, MGB (GT) V8, Morgan,
Rover. The advantage of this engine is its weight, it may not be very
much more, if at all, than the original 1800cc cast iron block of the
MGB, it certainly was a lot lighter than the 6 cilinder 3 ltr lump from
the MGB GT which was similar to the AH 3 ltr engine.
The disadvantage is its often weak camshaft. Many do not last 40.000
miles although some never seem to wear out (quality control problems?).
A bit of Googling will find you the widths of the cars.
Kees Oudesluijs

Simon Lachlan schreef op 29-5-2015 om 17:51:

> Somewhat off topic but anyhow, here goes........
>
> There may be an MGB GT V8 for sale locally. My wife had a regular one
> years ago. (1800cc?) It was OK but it seemed to me that it just looked
> like a sports car but didn?t really behave like one.
>
> But a V8 would be a different story?
>
> 1)Our driveway is narrow. A 3000 goes through like a greased pig, but
> most cars are too fat. Is a B wider than a Healey?
>
> 2)The 3.5 ex Buick engine......isn?t that the one that TVR bore out to
> 4.6?
>
> Seems to me that the 3.5 would offer up some serious power if
> sufficiently tweaked? Or am I thinking of a different engine?
>
> I think it?s the same engine that Rover used to put in their cars.
> Police 3.5s went like rockets considering the cars? weight.
>
> Any comments would be welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.5941 / Virusdatabase: 4354/9918 - datum van uitgifte:
> 06/01/15

--------------010802080902010604050204

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      version of the all aluminium ex-Buick engine. It was used in
      various capacities and states of tune in many UK cars, e.g. TVR,
      Land/Range Rover, the later MG V8, MGB (GT) V8, Morgan, Rover. The
      advantage of this engine is its weight, it may not be very much
      more, if at all, than the original 1800cc cast iron block of the
      MGB, it certainly was a lot lighter than the 6 cilinder 3 ltr lump
      from the MGB GT which was similar to the AH 3 ltr engine.<br>
      The disadvantage is its often weak camshaft. Many do not last
      40.000 miles although some never seem to wear out (quality control
      problems?).<br>
      A bit of Googling will find you the widths of the cars.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Simon Lachlan schreef op 29-5-2015 om 17:51:<br>
      cite="mid:000001d09a27$5457d9f0$fd078dd0$@lachlan@homecall.co.uk"
      type="cite">
        charset=us-ascii">
        medium)">
          goes........</p>
          My wife had a regular one years ago. (1800cc?) It was OK but
          it seemed to me that it just looked like a sports car but
          didn?t really behave like one.</p>
          driveway is narrow. A 3000 goes through like a greased pig,
          but most cars are too fat. Is a B wider than a Healey?</p>
          3.5 ex Buick engine......isn?t that the one that TVR bore out
          to 4.6?</p>
          some serious power if sufficiently tweaked? Or am I thinking
          of a different engine?</p>
          used to put in their cars. Police 3.5s went like rockets
          considering the cars? weight.</p>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        charset=us-ascii">
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.5941 / Virusdatabase: 4354/9918 - datum van
        uitgifte: 06/01/15</p>

--------------010802080902010604050204--