Re: [Healeys] pertronix failure

To: John Vrugtman <javrugtman@htcnet.org>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] pertronix failure
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 22:27:39 +0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--047d7b6703cf8045030518168f3d

John -

You must have had an old unit.  I had the same thing happen to me 10 years
ago and Pertrinix replaced it gratis.  Turns out the old magnet sleeves
were just a bit too big and could delaminate after rubbing on the contact
plate.  They fixed it with the new ones and it's no longer a problem.

Of course, I carried spare points in my car, swapped them out, had my BJ8
running again in 15 minutes.  Gapped it by sight!  Was good enough to to
get home,

Cheers,

Alan

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015, John Vrugtman <javrugtman@htcnet.org> wrote:

> I thought I would share an interesting experience with a pertronix ignitor
> yesterday.  The car, with a BJ8 engine, had been running for years with the
> ignitor with no problems at all, when suddenly on a trip of less than 100
> miles it just quit.  Other than determining it had no spark, we could not
> find anything wrong on the side of the road, even after replacing the coil,
> the ignitor module, rotor, cap and wires and disconnecting all other wires
> from the coil.  Towed it home and resumed checking, but still found
> nothing; then just for grins removed the magnet cap that triggers the
> ignitor and low and behold there at the base of the cam were all six
> magnets.  The holding sleeve had come unglued letting the magnets fall
> out.  One other thing, we replaced them and re glued the sleeve, but the
> car would only run on 3 cylinders.  Found out from Pertronix that the
> magnets have to be aligned by polarity to work properly.  The point learned
> for me is we overlooked the magnet cap because everyone knows magnets don't
> go bad.
>
> John

> Unsubscribe/Manage:

--047d7b6703cf8045030518168f3d

me thing happen to me 10 years ago and Pertrinix replaced it gratis.=C2=A0 =
Turns out the old magnet sleeves were just a bit too big and could delamina=
te after rubbing on the contact plate.=C2=A0 They fixed it with the new one=
arried spare points in my car, swapped them out, had my BJ8 running again i=
n 15 minutes.=C2=A0 Gapped it by sight!=C2=A0 Was good enough to to get hom=
 Tuesday, June 9, 2015, John Vrugtman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:javrugtman@htcn=
et.org">javrugtman@htcnet.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex">I thought I would share an interesting experience with a pertronix igni=
tor yesterday.=C2=A0 The car, with a BJ8 engine, had been running for years=
 with the ignitor with no problems at all, when suddenly on a trip of less =
than 100 miles it just quit.=C2=A0 Other than determining it had no spark, =
we could not find anything wrong on the side of the road, even after replac=
ing the coil, the ignitor module, rotor, cap and wires and disconnecting al=
l other wires from the coil.=C2=A0 Towed it home and resumed checking, but =
still found nothing; then just for grins removed the magnet cap that trigge=
rs the ignitor and low and behold there at the base of the cam were all six=
 magnets.=C2=A0 The holding sleeve had come unglued letting the magnets fal=
l out.=C2=A0 One other thing, we replaced them and re glued the sleeve, but=
 the car would only run on 3 cylinders.=C2=A0 Found out from Pertronix that=
 the magnets have to be aligned by polarity to work properly.=C2=A0 The poi=
nt learned for me is we overlooked the magnet cap because everyone knows ma=
gnets don&#39;t go bad.<br>
John<br>
s/healey.nut@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/opt=
ions/healeys/healey.nut@gmail.com</a><br>