Re: [Healeys] On the topic of oils

To: editorgary@aol.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] On the topic of oils
From: Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 07:28:43 +1000
--===============5202234996376574685==
 boundary="------------060701050508030903050609"

--------------060701050508030903050609

Hi Gary, here, here!
Cheers
Larry Varley

On 12/06/2015 7:57 AM, editorgary@aol.com wrote:
> I'm wondering if the 17-year-locusts and the topic of What oil?,
> subtopic weight, subtopic synthetic, subtopic ZDDP, both seem to crawl
> out of the ground at about the same regularity. The topics come up,
> they are beat to death with the same old myths and old-wives tales,
> and eventually they go back to ground, only to arise again several
> years later.
>
> So,
> Here is the beginning, middle, and end of the gospel.
>
> ZDDP as an additive is only important when an newly rebuild engine is
> being broken in.
>
> Synthetic oil is an unnecessary expense.
>
> Oil in old cars should be changed once every year.
>
> Oil in old cars should be in the 20W50 range.
>
> That's all you need to know.
>
> Oh, Pat Quinn is probably right regarding 30 weight non-detergent oil
> in Healey transmissions because of their slightly weird design using a
> magnet and a coarse screen in the bottom of the drain.
>
> And none of the above applies to cars being raced with rpm routinely
> over 4000. You and your mechanics have figured out answers that suit
> you, and if your mechanic is older than you are, trust him.
>
> Any other answer is either being promoted by a manufacturer selling a
> blend of snake oil, profiteering, and engine oil or someone who
> believes everything they find on the internet regardless of source or age.
>
> That's it; end of story. Don't make me pull out the hundreds of
> references supporting this gospel because I won't.
>
> /Gary Anderson/
> /Editor at Large, Austin-Healey Magazine/
> /
> /
> /
> /

--------------060701050508030903050609

  <head>
  </head>
    Hi Gary, here, here!<br>
    Cheers<br>
    Larry Varley<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:editorgary@aol.com";>editorgary@aol.com</a> wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:14de4a07dc3-735d-1e29a@webprd-m65.mail.aol.com"
      type="cite"><font color="black" face="Arial, Helvetica,
        sans-serif" size="2"><font style="color: black;" size="2">I'm
          wondering if the 17-year-locusts and the topic of What oil?,
          subtopic weight, subtopic synthetic, subtopic ZDDP, both seem
          to crawl out of the ground at about the same regularity. The
          topics come up, they are beat to death with the same old myths
          and old-wives tales, and eventually they go back to ground,
          only to arise again several years later.</font>
            middle, and end of the gospel.</font></div>
            only important when an newly rebuild engine is being broken
            in.</font></div>
            unnecessary expense.</font></div>
            be changed once every year.</font></div>
            range.</font></div>
            weight non-detergent oil in Healey transmissions because of
            their slightly weird design using a magnet and a coarse
            screen in the bottom of the drain.</font></div>
            raced with rpm routinely over 4000. You and your mechanics
            have figured out answers that suit you, and if your mechanic
            is older than you are, trust him.</font></div>
            a manufacturer selling a blend of snake oil, profiteering,
            and engine oil or someone who believes everything they find
            on the internet regardless of source or age.</font></div>
            out the hundreds of references supporting this gospel
            because I won't.<br>
            sans-serif; font-size: 13px; clear: both;"><font face="Times
                  face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">E<font size="2">ditor
                    at Large, Austin-Healey
                  face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2"><br>