Re: [Healeys] Steering Box and Wire Wheel Questions--BJ8

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Box and Wire Wheel Questions--BJ8
From: Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 23:13:34 +0000

--_4fd15066-8322-4d02-9441-8b4b9b352482_

=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
I will answer your question #2. You can replace the dust excluder by removi=
ng the steering lever and it may be possible to replace the oil seal with t=
he box in the car=2C I have never done it that way=2C likely a little more =
difficult. However=2C I would lave it in and instead I would drain the oil =
and replace it with John Deere Corn Head Grease=2C it is a light grease and=
 that will take care of your leak. I did this on the suggestion of Bob Yule=
 at Autofarm about two years ago=2C best thing I did to stop the leak.

Jean =20

> Date: Sun=2C 14 Jun 2015 16:53:06 -0400
> From: tomfelts@windstream.net
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Healeys] Steering Box and Wire Wheel Questions--BJ8
>=20
> I have recently been hearing a "pop pop" noise coming from the right fron=
t suspension area when making a slow full right turn.
>=20
> I do not hear it when making a full turn when the car is on concrete and =
is not moving.
>=20
> I noted this same condition on my E-Type also. =20
>=20
> I have Dayton wire wheels on both and relatively new hubs. =20
>=20
> It is not the spinners or a wheel bearing or worn splines.
>=20
> Several listers on the Jag list have said they had the same problem and f=
ound that the quality of the Dayton's had gone down and they did not fit fl=
ush with the hub--thus causing the noise while making a sharp turn.  Their =
solution was to get new hubs and Dunlop wires and that solved their problem=
.
>=20
> Question---------have any of you had this problem and if so what did you =
determine was the issue and how did you solve it?
>=20
> Question #2------The BJ8 steering box is leaking oil (assume bad oil seal=
) and the dust excluder has disintegrated.  Is it possible to replace these=
 2 items while the steering box is still in the car by removing the lower n=
ut and steering lever?
_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com
>=20
=0A=
                                          =

--_4fd15066-8322-4d02-9441-8b4b9b352482_

<head>
</head>
=0A=
.hmmessage P=0A=
{=0A=
margin:0px=3B=0A=
padding:0px=0A=
}=0A=
body.hmmessage=0A=
{=0A=
font-size: 12pt=3B=0A=
font-family:Calibri=0A=
}=0A=
--></style>=0A=
xcluder by removing the steering lever and it may be possible to replace th=
e oil seal with the box in the car=2C I have never done it that way=2C like=
ly a little more difficult. However=2C I would lave it in and instead I wou=
ld drain the oil and replace it with John Deere Corn Head Grease=2C it is a=
 light grease and that will take care of your leak. I did this on the sugge=
stion of Bob Yule at Autofarm about two years ago=2C best thing I did to st=
15 16:53:06 -0400<br>&gt=3B From: tomfelts@windstream.net<br>&gt=3B To: hea=
leys@autox.team.net<br>&gt=3B Subject: [Healeys] Steering Box and Wire Whee=
l Questions--BJ8<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B I have recently been hearing a "pop p=
op" noise coming from the right front suspension area when making a slow fu=
ll right turn.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B I do not hear it when making a full tur=
n when the car is on concrete and is not moving.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B I not=
ed this same condition on my E-Type also.  <br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B I have Day=
ton wire wheels on both and relatively new hubs.  <br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B It =
is not the spinners or a wheel bearing or worn splines.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=
=3B Several listers on the Jag list have said they had the same problem and=
 found that the quality of the Dayton's had gone down and they did not fit =
flush with the hub--thus causing the noise while making a sharp turn.  Thei=
r solution was to get new hubs and Dunlop wires and that solved their probl=
em.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Question---------have any of you had this problem =
and if so what did you determine was the issue and how did you solve it?<br=
>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Question #2------The BJ8 steering box is leaking oil (as=
sume bad oil seal) and the dust excluder has disintegrated.  Is it possible=
 to replace these 2 items while the steering box is still in the car by rem=
oving the lower nut and steering lever?<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Thanks for any=
_______________________________<br>&gt=3B Support Team.Net http://www.team.=
net/donate.html<br>&gt=3B Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>&gt=3B Archi=
ve: http://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt=3B Forums: http://www.team.net/forum=