Re: [Healeys] Steering Lever Removal Questions--BJ8

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Lever Removal Questions--BJ8
From: Derek Job <derek.c.job@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 08:43:33 +0100
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--089e0160a3a63ee26805189dbb34

The list is confusing me a little at present as there seems to be several
different threads on this subject, some of them split into two or three
parts.

As I mentioned previously I just replaced my steering arm and seal last
week and I did it with the box still in the car. You need to first
disconnect the side and centre rods from the arm. It is best if you use a
ball joint separator to do this as the ends are tapered and remain tightly
in position after you have removed the nuts.

The most difficult thing is removal of the arm itself as it is attached to
the splined and tapered end of the steering rocker. It will be very tight
it is best to use a puller to remove it. The problem is that there is very
little room to get the puller into position. It will depend on the shape
and size of the puller. I managed to do it with the puller I purchased but
it was a bit of a struggle and I had to use it in a position that was not
exactly perpendicular. If you can get a good grip a couple of turns on the
end of the puller will free the arm easily. Replace the seal where you are
there.

Assembly is the reverse of the above.

Derek

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 3:50 AM, Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Tom,
> I'm not sure if this will be of much help but it may be worth reading
> through.
> http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=967
> I would not think that it is necessary to remove the center or side rod
> from the lever as they should not prevent you from lifting the lever away
> from the box ONCE you get it released from the tapered spline..
> I however would recommend that you put a couple of beers in the fridge
> about now.
>
> Michael S
> BN1 #174
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 10:36 PM, Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm starting to "try" to remove the steering lever while the whole mess
>> is still in the car.  I've loosened the big nut that holds the lever on.
>>
>> I have pulled as much oil out of the box as I can.
>>
>> Before I try getting this thing off, I assume some of the steering arms
>> must be removed (?)
>>
>> Does anyone who has done this while on the car have a list of what should
>> be disconnected prior to trying to get the steering lever off?----which
>> seems to be quite fixed at the moment.
>>
>> thanks
>> tom
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com
>>

> --
> *If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/derek.c.job@gmail.com

--089e0160a3a63ee26805189dbb34

s to be several different threads on this subject, some of them split into =
st replaced my steering arm and seal last week and I did it with the box st=
ill in the car. You need to first disconnect the side and centre rods from =
the arm. It is best if you use a ball joint separator to do this as the end=
s are tapered and remain tightly in position after you have removed the nut=
emoval of the arm itself as it is attached to the splined and tapered end o=
f the steering rocker. It will be very tight it is best to use a puller to =
remove it. The problem is that there is very little room to get the puller =
into position. It will depend on the shape and size of the puller. I manage=
d to do it with the puller I purchased but it was a bit of a struggle and I=
 had to use it in a position that was not exactly perpendicular. If you can=
 get a good grip a couple of turns on the end of the puller will free the a=
ail_quote">On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 3:50 AM, Michael Salter <span dir=3D"ltr=
">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">michaels=
style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><di=
v dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans =
ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Tom,<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" s=
tyle=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I&#39;m not s=
ure if this will be of much help but it may be worth reading through. <br><=
a href=3D"http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=3D967"; target=3D"_blank">htt=
fault" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I wou=
ld not think that it is necessary to remove the center or side rod from the=
 lever as they should not prevent you from lifting the lever away from the =
box ONCE you get it released from the tapered spline..<br></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:=
small">I however would recommend that you put a couple of beers in the frid=
y:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:=
"gmail_quote"><div><div class=3D"h5">On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 10:36 PM, Tom =
Felts <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tomfelts@windstream.net"; targ=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div class=3D"h5">I&#39;m starting to &=
quot;try&quot; to remove the steering lever while the whole mess is still i=
n the car.=C2=A0 I&#39;ve loosened the big nut that holds the lever on.<br>
I have pulled as much oil out of the box as I can.<br>
Before I try getting this thing off, I assume some of the steering arms mus=
t be removed (?)<br>
Does anyone who has done this while on the car have a list of what should b=
e disconnected prior to trying to get the steering lever off?----which seem=
s to be quite fixed at the moment.<br>
thanks<br>
tom<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
eam.net</a><br>
s/michaelsalter@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>
ix it with a hammer, you&#39;ve got an electrical problem.</span></font></i=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=