Re: [Healeys] #174 has a running problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] #174 has a running problem
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 22:00:20 +0200
--===============8073310178328893578==
 boundary="------------030906070606010107070004"

--------------030906070606010107070004

Blocked fuel tank ventilation?
Kees Oudesluijs

Michael Salter schreef op 16-7-2015 om 20:32:
> I have done the following;
>
> STEPS TAKEN TO FIND RUNNING PROBLEM
>
> This car has an original cap, original wires, original NA8 spark
> plugs, original black coil, original fuel pump. I am determined not to
> change any of these original parts unless I can confirm definitely
> that that item is the source of the problemsâ?¦it a concours issue!!
>
> After many short trips 10 â?? 15 miles etc... the engine started to run
> very badly after 35 odd miles of a longer test drive on a warm but not
> hot day after travelling over a few hundred meters of rough road under
> construction eventually stopping completely as I tried to climb a
> hill. Sounded to be running on 2 cylinders at times. Backfiring
> through exhaustâ?¦ no throttle response.
>
> Cranked but would not start..Appeared to have spark at the coil wire..
>
> Affer cooling started out againâ?¦after 20 odd miles stopped with the
> same symptomsâ?¦ pulling choke seemed to make no difference.
>
> Could not hear fuelpump ticking but had fuel pressure at the front
> carb��good spark at coil wire�spark at plugs looked thin �Changed the
> condenser and the rotor and it started reluctantly and ran well for
> about 15 miles then stopped againâ?¦.same symptomsâ?¦.changed rotorâ?¦ran
> for 2 miles same symptomsâ?¦
>
> Found â??3 cutâ?? washers under the carb float chamber struts which I
> think could be sealing off the vent slots for the float chambersâ?¦
>
> Next day, today, I headed out for another extended drive and the car
> ran perfectly on a similar day for 36 miles then repeated the problem
> after 36 miles and I just managed to nurse it home another 11
> milesâ?¦.it actually died as I approached our driveway and I coasted in
> with the ignition turned off.Nothing would make it start.
>
> Tested the coil 4.6 ohms with no short to ground. Took off the float
> chamber lids and both were full to the correct level. The engine
> cranked but would just not start..
>
> After checking everything I could think of I believe that I have found
> the problem but I donâ??t have time to do another 36 mile test before
>
> What do you think I found?
>

> Michael..
>
> --
> /If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem./

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.6081 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10244 - datum van uitgifte:
> 07/16/15

--------------030906070606010107070004

  <head>
  </head>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Michael Salter schreef op 16-7-2015 om 20:32:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LJFPbqhSkbK5U-SH6FB-fm9VC8E408nLUgGyDz0NCJcqQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
            wires, original NA8
            spark plugs, original black coil, original fuel pump. I am
            determined not to
            change any of these original parts unless I can confirm
            definitely that that
            item is the source of the problemsâ?¦it a concours issue!!</p>
            etc... the engine
            started to run very badly after 35 odd miles of a longer
            test drive on a warm
            but not hot day after travelling over a few hundred meters
            of rough road under construction
            eventually stopping completely as I tried to climb a hill.
            Sounded to be
            running on 2 cylinders at times. Backfiring through exhaustâ?¦
            no throttle
            response.</p>
            have spark at the
            coil wire..</p>
            odd miles stopped
            with the same symptomsâ?¦ pulling choke seemed to make no
            difference.</p>
            carb��good spark at coil
            wireâ?¦spark at plugs looked thin â?¦Changed the condenser and
            the rotor and it started
            reluctantly and ran well for about 15 miles then stopped
            againâ?¦.same
            symptomsâ?¦.changed rotorâ?¦ran for 2 miles same symptomsâ?¦</p>
            float chamber struts
            which I think could be sealing off the vent slots for the
            float chambersâ?¦</p>
            extended drive and
            the car ran perfectly on a similar day for 36 miles then
            repeated the problem
            after 36 miles and I just managed to nurse it home another
            11 milesâ?¦.it
            actually died as I approached our driveway and I coasted in
            with the ignition
            ground. Took off
            the float chamber lids and both were full to the correct
            level. The engine
            cranked but would just not start..</p>
            of I believe that I have
            found the problem but I donâ??t have time to do another 36
            mile test before
        -- <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.6081 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10244 - datum van
        uitgifte: 07/16/15</p>

--------------030906070606010107070004--