Re: [Healeys] Jet-coating, wrap or do nothing to stainless headers?

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Jet-coating, wrap or do nothing to stainless headers?
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 14:52:12 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Thread-index: nJ6YTF4c60M5p5Rja5Btqkzp3Xar7A== s=q20140121; t=1447599133; bh=5XEGWfbMHcA+0UYSZOHsWewhBDAKBX+hl3ojBLRYoJQ=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=V9Qkdwb7MzR/TJvbQnhroNBm1d6NjO2AyjKK/u60lTSR8Sj3yOXCTmnqXUEYXGS1F VGJ/bUvqBIb8Bg9IbpGJG6S868+aiyA3neVRapZlcas1N5u8igmFEdFk1pulIZxzrT WboV5nbnGvWkAaOyO5kQqfMOge0Uo2aN2dLXzsbSEjBrfFltv700Dv4LxhGgoHHart RJrGsEQZG9ijg9p/MOmsuEHNnpjn8qbbnEBZUpqx2xj6LGC0LoOkZ1Tn3Q7CUQ0G5Z Z67mdFPOqKMps3SSd7luClMSSyjz5W3ukEx4bBIIaekKMtAAeN/K0vS4Qu8Wem8r50 daSD6uL+usRkQ==

------=_Part_2069133_1968991335.1447599132806

I'll add that, although I wrapped the mild steel downpipes on my BJ8 and have
no problems--that I know of--I've become reluctant to recommend it. I've seen
photographic evidence of pipes being severely eroded by wrapping; though it
appears to be a hit-or-miss issue, and may be due, in part, to how they were
wrapped and what they were wrapped with (I have to believe if it was a very
common problem nobody would buy the wrap and companies would cease to sell it).
I wouldn't expect ceramic coating to be a problem, at least if the pipes were
coated both inside and outside (inside only might even be better).

Here in the colonies we mostly have to use gas with 10% ethanol ('pure' gas is
available at some stations, but it's relatively rare). On a warm day, if my
engine is hot and shut down for less than a couple hours and restarted I'll get
some stumbling until air flow has cooled everything off a bit. I can't say with
absolute certainty that the gasahol is the problem, but I don't recall this
ever happening before the new formulation became prevalent. I think ceramic
coating the manifold might cure this problem.

Bob